Personnel of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group brought Baldo to the city jail here after he appeared before Regional Trial Court Branch 10 Judge Maria Theresa Loquillano at around 9:30 a.m.
Carlwyn Baldo FB Page
Batocabe slay: Daraga mayor surrenders
Cet Dematera, Romina Cabrera (The Philippine Star) - May 11, 2019 - 12:00am

LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines — Mayor Carlwyn Baldo of Daraga, Albay surrendered yesterday, a week after the court issued a warrant for his arrest.

Personnel of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group brought Baldo to the city jail here after he appeared before Regional Trial Court Branch 10 Judge Maria Theresa Loquillano at around 9:30 a.m.

Baldo was accompanied by his legal counsel and family members. He underwent booking procedure, including medical examination.

Bureau of Jail Management and Penology spokesman Xavier Solda said Baldo would be treated as an ordinary inmate. “No special treatment,” he said.

Baldo was charged with two counts of murder and multiple attempted murder in connection with the killing of Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Rodel Batocabe and his police escort Orlando Diaz during a gift-giving activity last Dec. 22. No bail was recommended.

The alleged gunman, Henry Yuson, who surrendered in January, pointed to the mayor as the mastermind in the killing.

Baldo’s former associate Emmanuel Judavar, who also surrendered, said the plot to kill Batocabe was hatched in August last year, when the congressman announced his plan to run for mayor of Daraga.

Task Force Batocabe

The Special Task Force Batocabe is expected to convene to assess the situation in Daraga, which has been placed under the control of the Commission on Elections.

Anthony Nuyda, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG)-Bicol director, said his office has yet to issue a memorandum ordering Vice Mayor Victor Perete to assume as acting mayor.

“There is no truth to... reports that the DILG issued a memo installing Vice Mayor Perete as acting Daraga mayor. The task force has yet to convene,” Nuyda said.

Comelec-Bicol assistant director Romeo Serrano said Baldo has not been disqualified from seeking reelection.

“Unless convicted... with finality, Baldo will remain a candidate for mayor of Daraga,” Serrano told The STAR.

Baldo is pitted against Perete and the widow of Batocabe, Gertie.

CARLWYN BALDO RODEL BATOCABE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with