Reds free 2 militiamen in Agusan del Norte
Ben Serrano (The Philippine Star) - February 19, 2019 - 12:00am

REMEDIOS ROMUALDEZ TRINIDAD, Agusan del Norte, Philippines — Two members of the Citizen Armed Forces Geographical Unit snatched by New People’s Army (NPA) rebels in Barangay San Antonio in this town on Dec. 22 were released in Barangay Tagbongabong yesterday. 

Reginal Keim, 21, and Bernabe Salahay, 50, of the 29th Infantry Battalion were turned over to third party facilitators, mostly church leaders. 

Joaquin Jacinto, spokesman for the National Democratic Front in Mindanao, said eight other militiamen and two soldiers snatched by communist guerrillas would also be released.

Last week, NPA rebels released six militiamen they seized in Sibagat, Agusan del Norte.

The captives were  among 12 government troopers snatched while sleeping at a military detachment in Barangay New Tubigon on Dec. 19. 

The military said the release of the victims was due to the pressure of relentless military operations.

NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC FRONT NEW PEOPLE'S ARMY
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with