Lt. Col. Gerry Besana, Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) spokesman, said four followers of Abu Sayyaf sub-leader Almujer Yaddah were killed and four other bandits were wounded in the encounter with soldiers of the 45th Infantry Battalion at the boundary of Barangays Tanum and Liang in Patikul town.
Miguel De Guzman
5 Abu Sayyaf bandits, soldier killed in Sulu clashes
Roel Pareño (The Philippine Star) - July 21, 2018 - 12:00am

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines — Five Abu Sayyaf bandits and a soldier were killed in encounters in Sulu on Thursday.

Lt. Col. Gerry Besana, Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) spokesman, said four followers of Abu Sayyaf sub-leader Almujer Yaddah were killed and four other bandits were wounded in the encounter with soldiers of the 45th Infantry Battalion at the boundary of Barangays Tanum and Liang in Patikul town. 

“We lost one soldier... Two others who were wounded were evacuated to the Camp Teodulfo Station Hospital based in Jolo,” Brig. Gen. Divino Rey Pabayo, Joint Task Force Sulu commander, said.

The wounded soldiers were later airlifted to the Camp Navarro General Hospital in this city. 

Another encounter, which left a bandit dead, occurred between personnel of the First Scout Ranger Battalion and the group of Almadjan Sahidjuan, alias Apoh Mike, in Barangay Tabu-Bato, Maimbung.

The military said an M16 rifle was recovered from  the fatality. 

“My salute to our fallen soldier and prayers for two others recuperating at the Camp Navarro Station Hospital. With support from the local government and the public, the sickening problem of terrorism will soon be put to an end,” Lt. Gen.  Arnel dela Vega, Westmincom chief, said.

The military has intensified its operations against the Abu Sayyaf after six kidnap victims rescued by the military on Tuesday bared that they were with two other hostages when they were held captive in Sulu for 20 days.

The rescued victims said they were with Jelster Ed Tiu Quimbo, a businessman and son of Labason town Mayor Eddie Quimbo, who was kidnapped in March last year, and coconut farmer Jose Duterte, who was snatched along with his wife Jessica in Siocon, Zamboanga del Norte last year. 

Jessica was freed late last year reportedly to raise the ransom demand in exchange for the release of her husband. 

A Dutch man, a Vietnamese, three Indonesians and three other Filipinos remain in the hands of the Abu Sayyaf. With Michael Punongbayan

ABU SAYYAF MILITARY OPPERATIONS WESTERN MINDANAO COMMAND
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with