DOJ: $10 million estafa raps vs Okada up for review
Edu Punay (The Philippine Star) - June 14, 2018 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Japanese gaming tycoon Kazuo Okada is not yet off the hook in the $10-million estafa charges filed by his former firm, Tiger Resorts Leisure and Entertainment Inc. (TRLEI), Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra clarified yesterday.

Guevarra made the clarification amid reports that the cases against Okada had been dismissed by the Parañaque City prosecutor’s office based on resolutions supposedly leaked to the respondent’s camp.

He explained that the resolutions, which are under investigation, could still be appealed before the Department of Justice (DOJ).

Guevarra said he would assign the cases to another prosecutor for review.

He said the resolutions may be reversed if the DOJ finds basis to overturn them.

“If upon review the DOJ sees it differently, the resolutions may be set aside, reversed or modified accordingly,” Guevarra told reporters.

Prosecutor General Jorge Catalan Jr. and Parañaque City Prosecutor Amerhassan Paudac have inhibited from the case.

TRLEI, owner of the Okada Manila hotel-resort complex, accused Paudac of leaking the resolution, which dismissed two of the estafa complaints, to Okada’s aide Chloe Kim who posted it on her social media accounts on May 18.             

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE ESTAFA KAZUO OKADA TIGER RESORTS LEISURE AND ENTERTAINMENT INC.
Philstar
Facebook
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with