Bilibid inmate stabs prison guard
Ralph Edwin Villanueva (The Philippine Star) - September 13, 2019 - 12:00am

Attack linked to Senate probe?

MANILA, Philippines – A Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) prison guard was injured after he was stabbed yesterday by an inmate at the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) in Muntinlupa City.

Duty officer Inspector Edgardo Ferrer survived the attack. He suffered a stab wound in his lower torso, according to BuCor spokesman Eusebio del Rosario Jr.

Senate President Vicente Sotto III asked the National Bureau of Investigation to look into the incident as Ferrer is the father of one of the members of the Senate Sergeant-at-Arms.

Investigation showed that Ferrer was conducting a head count of prisoners at the NBP’s maximum security compound when he was attacked by the inmate, Wilson Topic, at around 8:40 a.m.

Topic stabbed Ferrer with a pair of scissors, Del Rosario said.

The attacker is reportedly suffering from a mental disorder.

BuCor officer-in-charge Melvin Ramos Buenafe said Topic had been confined at the national penitentiary’s psychiatric ward for schizophrenia. 

“Ferrer managed to grab the scissors from Topic and they fell to the ground before the inmate was pacified,” the BuCor report said. 

Asked where the scissors might have come from, Del Rosario said barbers are allowed in Bilibid.

Ferrer was taken to the NBP hospital for emergency treatment. 

GCTA hearing

The stabbing incident at the NBP happened a few hours before the Senate continued its probe yesterday on anomalies in the BuCor, triggered by the aborted release of convicted rapist-murderer Antonio Sanchez under the Good Conduct Time Allowance or GCTA Law.

Nicanor Faeldon has been sacked as BuCor chief along with dozens of prison officials amid the GCTA controversy.

Sen. Ronald dela Rosa, who headed the BuCor last year, said it has been a practice of some rich convicts to fake illness to allow themselves to be confined at the NBP hospital where there are fewer restrictions.

At least 12 officials of the BuCor have been assassinated since 2011, which senators believe are linked to corruption plaguing the bureau.

The figures came out during the Senate Blue Ribbon committee’s inquiry into the release of heinous crime convicts from the NBP.

“Are you familiar with the fact that since 2011, there had been 12 murders of personnel of the bureau from superintendents to guards to doctors?” Sen. Richard Gordon, chairman of the committee, asked BuCor legal division chief Frederic Anthony Santos.

Gordon said the victims, including a common-law wife of a BuCor official,  were killed by motorcycle-riding gunmen.

Santos admitted that most of the cases remain unsolved.

He said authorities were able to apprehend one gunman, who is undergoing trial, but has yet to point to the mastermind.

“The suspect said he was just ordered to do the job,” Santos said, referring to the murder. Paolo Romero

BILIBID INMATE
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with