JV seeks Sandigan nod for UAE trip
Michael Punongbayan (The Philippine Star) - May 19, 2017 - 4:00pm

MANILA, Philippines - Sen. Joseph Victor Ejercito has asked the Sandiganbayan to allow him to travel to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) next week.

In an urgent motion filed before the anti-graft court’s Sixth Division on May 18, Ejercito said he will join Duterte in an official visit to the Middle Eastern country from May 27 to 29.

From Russia, Duterte is scheduled to make a stopover in UAE before returning to Manila.

Ejercito, who is on trial for malversation of public funds stemming from his alleged misuse of calamity funds when he was mayor of San Juan in 2008, said the Office of the President is finalizing the program of activities and travel itinerary, which are confidential in nature.

He instead offered to submit a certification, invitation or other supporting documents from Malacañang as proof that he is joining the trip as a member of the official delegation.

Ejercito said he has previously posted a travel bond. He promised to follow all the conditions that will be set by the anti-graft court and appear before the Sandiganbayan immediately upon his return to the country.

  • Latest
  • Trending
Are you sure you want to log out?

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

or sign in with