^
PNP urges people to continue wearing face shields
Eleazar said it is better for people to continue wearing the protective gear on top of face masks which they have been doing since December last year as additional protection against COVID-19.
Miguel De Guzman, file

PNP urges people to continue wearing face shields

Emmanuel Tupas (The Philippine Star) - June 20, 2021 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Guillermo Eleazar yesterday urged people to continue wearing face shields in public places while waiting for the final guidance from the national government.

Eleazar said it is better for people to continue wearing the protective gear on top of face masks which they have been doing since December last year as additional protection against COVID-19.

“It is best since we are used to having face shields, this is for us so let’s continue bringing them,” he said in Filipino in an interview over dzBB.

President Duterte has agreed to do away with face shields, limiting its use only in hospitals.
While the Inter-Agency Task Force for the management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) has yet to sort issues on Duterte’s latest directive, Eleazar ordered police officers to simply caution – not apprehend – people who are spotted not wearing face shields.

The country’s top cop added that he and other police officers at Camp Crame continue to wear face shields, saying, “we feel more protected.”

Eleazar said it is better for them to wait for the latest guidelines on the use of face shields to avoid confusion in the implementation by police units on the ground.

“This is all about cooperation. It’s nearly a year that we’ve been here and we can adjust depending on the situation,” he said.

League of Provinces of the Philippines president and Marinduque Governor Presbitero Velasco Jr., for his part, said the IATF officials have no other choice but to follow Duterte’s directive on face shields.

He pointed out it was the President who created the task force.

“It’s the President who truly has the power to produce and impose those kinds of rules,” he said in Filipino in an interview over dzBB.

Meanwhile, President Duterte has not made a decision on the recommendation of the IATF to retain the mandatory use of face shields as part of the government’s health protocols against COVID-19.

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque Jr. remains mum on the Chief Executive’s decision, except that the IATF has submitted the recommendation to impose the wearing of face shields in enclosed or indoor spaces.

Roque said the rule on mandatory wearing of face shields remains for everybody who go out into public places.

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said there is a status quo on the wearing of face shields – meaning everyone must still wear face shields once they step out of their homes.

“We have not received an official response from the Office of the President regarding the appeal of the IATF on face shields. So, for now, we remain in status quo – this means whatever we enforced before will remain until the President makes a decision regarding face shields,” Vergeire said in Filipino at the Laging Handa program yesterday. – Christina Mendez

FACE SHIELD
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with