Meralco meter reading to continue in MECQ areas
Meralco said its business centers would also remain open to handle customer payments, concerns, inquiries and service applications.
STAR/File
Meralco meter reading to continue in MECQ areas
Catherine Talavera (The Philippine Star) - August 6, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) has assured its customers that business operations, including meter reading activities, would continue in areas placed under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).

In a statement, Meralco said its business operations would continue in Metro Manila, Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna and Rizal, all of which are under MECQ until Aug. 18.

Meralco said its business centers would also remain open to handle customer payments, concerns, inquiries and service applications.

“The company guarantees strict implementation of protocols of the government’s Inter-Agency Task Force, to safeguard the health and safety of its customers and employees. Meralco is also closely coordinating with the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) and the Department of Energy with regard to business operations continuation amid MECQ,” Meralco assistant vice president and head of public information office Joe Zaldarriaga said.

In line with this, Meralco appealed to local government units (LGUs) and barangay officials to recognize meter readers as among the essential workers granted permission to work during MECQ and allow them access to and read meters of residences.

“Rest assured this will be unobtrusive and the deployed meter readers will be in complete personal protective equipment, bearing in mind safety procedures. This will ensure that actual consumption for the month will be billed accordingly,” the company said.

It added that Meralco personnel would be also on standby 24/7 to respond to emergencies and reports.

Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian yesterday warned Meralco and other distribution utilities (DUs) against possible unexplained bill shocks, which happened when Luzon was placed under ECQ earlier this year.

“We’re at it again. Metro Manila and nearby areas are now back to MECQ. Meter readings may not be possible due to the lockdown period. Add to this is the possibility that a number of affected consumers may appeal anew for deferred or extension of payment in their monthly bills,” Gatchalian, who heads the Senate committee on energy, said in a statement. – Paolo Romero

MERALCO
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with