Laguna Gov. Ramil Hernandez ordered strict compliance with measures to implement a “total lockdown” even as he urged residents to cooperate and stay in their homes.
Michael Varcas
Cebu, Laguna close borders
Ed Amoroso, Mitchelle Palaubsanon (The Philippine Star) - March 29, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — Laguna and Cebu have been placed on lockdown as more coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases were recorded.

Laguna Gov. Ramil Hernandez ordered strict compliance with measures to implement a “total lockdown” even as he urged residents to cooperate and stay in their homes.

In an interview on Dobol B on GMA News TV, he said the lockdown, which took effect at 1 p.m. yesterday, would be implemented “as long as it is needed.”

There are now 23 COVID-19 cases in Laguna.

There are eight cases in Sta. Rosa, five in San Pedro, three in Biñan, two in Calamba and one each in Cabuyao, Los Baños, Lumban, Pila and San Pablo.

Only one resident per household is allowed to go out to get supplies during the lockdown.

Medical workers, those in the security sector such as police officers and soldiers, local and barangay officials and employees in businesses engaged in basic services are allowed to go out.

Meanwhile, Cebu will be on enhanced community quarantine starting tomorrow.

Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia said non-essential trips from Cebu City to any area in the province and vice versa would also be prohibited after midnight tomorrow.

Garcia said only medical frontliners and those delivering essential services are exempted.

“I shall be issuing an executive order outlining the guidelines in the implementation of further restriction within the province,” she said.

Cebu City Mayor Edgardo Labella issued Executive Order 64 on Friday placing the city on enhanced community quarantine at noon yesterday until noon of April 28 “unless sooner lifted or withdrawn.”

Nineteen of the 22 COVID-19 cases in Central Visayas are from Cebu, the Department of Health-Central Visayas office reported yesterday. 

Sixteen of the patients, including two fatalities, are from Cebu City.

Barangay Caritan Norte in Tuguegarao City was also placed on lockdown after a local transmission of the flu virus was reported, Mayor Jefferson Soriano said.

Soriano said the 73-year-old mother of the male patient and two nurses who took care of him were also infected.

Barangay Salomague Sur in Bugallon, Pangasinan was placed on lockdown after recording its first case.

“He violated the full disclosure policy being implemented when he failed to state that he is a person under investigation (PUI),” Mayor Priscilla Espino said of the patient, who traveled to Manila.

Baguio City Mayor Benjamin Magalong said non-essential travelers, including residents stranded in the provinces, except Benguet, would not be allowed entry into the city for two weeks.

There are now 12 COVID-19 cases in the city. The first local transmission, which was reported yesterday, involved a health worker at the city health office.

Bulacan, Iloilo, Tarlac, Pampanga, Mindoro Occidental, Leyte, Bukidnon and Bayambang in Pangasinan had been earlier placed on lockdown due to COVID-19.

Davao closed its borders on March 19 with the suspension of land, sea and air travel to contain the spread of the virus.

More COVID-19 cases

In Zambales, a 70-year-old native of Cabangan town who recently arrived from Washington is the second COVID-19 patient in the province.

Noel Bueno of the provincial health office said the patient is confined at the Unihealth-Baypointe Hospital and Medical Center at the Subic Bay Freeport zone.

Mayor Julio Parayno III of Urdaneta, Pangasinan said the first COVID-19 case in the town is a 29-year-old male who traveled to Japan and arrived in the town on March 4.

Five of the COVID-19 fatalities are from Bayambang, Rosales, Lingayen, Bani and Urbiztondo.

Bataan Gov. Albert Raymond Garcia said three patients tested positive for the virus in Balanga City, Abucay and Samal, bringing to six the number of confirmed cases in the province. Garcia said one of the patients has recovered.

Surigao del Norte provincial health officer Arlene Felizarta said a PUI died on Thursday while waiting for test results.

As this developed, the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Pangasinan passed a resolution on Friday expressing its “strongest displeasure” over the Sta. Barbara municipal government’s opposition to convert a provincial facility located in the town as a facility for discharged PUIs.

The Sta. Barbara town council passed a resolution on March 25 opposing the use of the Agricultural Training Institute-Provincial Nursery Pavilion as hospital isolation extension for PUIs.

Tarlac Gov. Susan Yap said the provincial government is constructing its own COVID-19 testing facility.  – With Bebot Sison, Artemio Dumlao, Eva Visperas, Ding Cervantes, Ric Sapnu, Raymund Catindig, Ben Serrano, Lorraine Ecarma

CEBU LAGUNA LOCKDOWN
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with