The circulating message about a case of SARS seen in a health clinic is not true, the DOH said in an advisory.
Department of Health | Noel Celis/AFP
New SARS case fake news — DOH
Sheila Crisostomo (The Philippine Star) - January 16, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Health (DOH) yesterday dismissed as fake news a circulating text message that says a case of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) has been recorded in the country.

“The circulating message about a case of SARS seen in a health clinic (is) not true,” the DOH said in an advisory. “There is still no reported case of SARS as per DOH surveillance.”

The message warns the public against going to a mall in Mandaluyong City, where a clinic that allegedly tested the patient positive for SARS is located.

This developed as the DOH is closely monitoring the entry of travelers from China and Hong Kong, where cases of a mysterious respiratory disease were recorded last month.

Chinese authorities identified the disease as a new type of coronavirus, which symptoms are similar to that of SARS but is not as deadly and contagious as the latter.

There was no clear evidence that the new coronavirus could be transmitted from human to human.    

DOH SARS
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with