Filipinos urged to avoid Hong Kong due to protests
A general view shows Hong Kong's International Airport on Aug. 14, 2019. Flights were departing Hong Kong airport largely on schedule, a day after pro-democracy protesters caused chaos with a disruptive sit-in that paralyzed the busy transport hub.
AFP/Philip Fong
Filipinos urged to avoid Hong Kong due to protests
(Philstar.com) - August 16, 2019 - 3:27pm

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs advised Filipino travelers who have no urgent business in Hong Kong to steer clear from the semi-autonomous Chinese city for the meantime.

The Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong has been monitoring the developments in the city due to ongoing protests.

Filipino travelers should avoid the Hong Kong International Airport as a destination or transit airport for now, the DFA said.

"Filipino travelers departing from Hong Kong are requested to contact their airlines at least five hours before their scheduled flights to check if their flights will push through," the DFA said in an advisory.

Below is a list of airlines' hotlines in Hong Kong:

Philippine Airlines: +(852) 2769.7123
Cebu Pacific: (+852) 3973.3800
Cathay Pacific: (+852) 2747.3333

The consulate also relayed the upcoming schedule of protests in Hong Kong:

August 17
Chater Garden, Central to Central
Government Offices, Admiralty
Hung Hom Pier to Sung Wong Toi Garden, Kowloon

August 18
Victora Park, Causeway Bay to Chater Road, Central

August 19
"Clean up MTR carriages"

August 25
Kwai Tiang Theatre, Kwai Chung to Tsuen Wan Park

"Filipinos are asked to avoid these areas during protests, and refrain from wearing clothing and/or carrying anything that could mistakenly identify them as part of the protest action," the DFA said.

The consulate general said it is ready to provide assistance to Filipinos who may need it. The office can be contacted on its hotline at (+852) 9155-4023. — Patricia Lourdes Viray

DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS HONG KONG HONG KONG PROTESTS
As It Happens
LATEST UPDATE: October 16, 2020 - 7:00pm

Millions march in Hong Kong in a powerful rebuke of an extradition law feared to expose them to China's capricious justice system.

October 16, 2020 - 7:00pm

A top Chinese diplomat warns Canada against granting asylum to Hong Kong democracy protesters, adding that doing so could jeopardize the "health and safety" of Canadians living in the southern Chinese financial hub.

The remarks by Cong Peiwu, Beijing's Ottawa envoy, prompted a rebuke from Canada's foreign minister, further escalating tensions between the two countries.

Cong was responding to reports that a Hong Kong couple who took part in last year's huge and sometimes violent protests had been granted refugee status. — AFP

October 1, 2020 - 4:23pm

Hong Kong's leader Thursday hailed her city's "return to peace" after China imposed a security law that helped suppress a pro-democracy movement, as just a handful of people defied a heavy police presence and protested during National Day celebrations.

The People's Republic of China celebrates its founding on October 1 with a holiday and carefully choreographed festivities.

But in Hong Kong, it has become a day of grievance for those worried about authoritarian Beijing's intensifying crackdown against its opponents.

Protest has been effectively outlawed for most of this year and Beijing also imposed a strict national security law on the semi-autonomous business hub in June. — AFP

September 24, 2020 - 7:56pm

The European Union on Thursday criticised the arrest of prominent Hong Kong activist Joshua Wong, saying it was "troubling" and undermined trust in China.

The 23-year-old's detention for for "unlawful assembly" over a 2019 demonstration comes after China imposed a sweeping new national security law on Hong Kong in late June.

"The arrest of Hong Kong pro-democracy activist Joshua Wong on 24 September is the latest in a troubling series of arrests of pro-democracy activists since the summer," an EU spokesperson said, calling for "very careful scrutiny" by the judiciary.

"Developments in Hong Kong call into question China's will to uphold its international commitments, undermine trust and impact EU-China relations."

The EU has repeatedly voiced concern at the new Hong Kong security law, which critics say erodes important freedoms in the city. — AFP

September 16, 2020 - 6:24pm

A Swiss photographer who closed a door on a Chinese mainlander moments before he was assaulted during last year's Hong Kong democracy protests should not be held responsible for the attack, his lawyers argued Wednesday.

Marc Progin, a long-time Hong Kong resident, is facing up to a year in jail for "aiding and abetting public disorder" over the incident in which JP Morgan employee Lin Nan was punched.

Footage of Progin closing the door moments before a masked man assaulted Lin went viral and caused widespread anger in mainland China. 

Prosecutors said Progin, 75, deliberately shut a door leading to JP Morgan's regional headquarters as an argument broke out between a crowd of pro-democracy supporters and Lin last October. 

They argued his actions effectively enabled the assault on Lin and that Progin therefore took part in the unfolding public disorder. 

Defense lawyers said Progin was simply doing his job and that he closed the door to get a better angle to capture the argument through his lens.

Defense counsel Michael Delaney said Progin had no intention to "stop, block or obstruct" Lin and that the behavior of the crowd had nothing to do with Progin. — AFP

September 15, 2020 - 3:18pm

Hong Kong activists shouted anti-government slogans outside court on Tuesday as more than two dozen high profile democracy campaigners appeared over a banned vigil to mark the Tiananmen Square crackdown.

Tens of thousands of Hong Kongers defied a ban on rallies on June 4 to mark the anniversary of Beijing's deadly suppression of students pushing for democracy.

The annual vigil has been held in Hong Kong for the last three decades and usually attracts huge crowds, but this year's gathering was banned for the first time with authorities citing coronavirus measures — even though local transmission had largely been halted.

The group of defendants represents a broad section of the pro-democracy movement, from 72-year-old media mogul Jimmy Lai to younger campaigners such as Joshua Wong. — AFP

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

FORGOT PASSWORD?
SIGN IN
or sign in with