Sen. Risa Hontiveros filed Senate Resolution 932 after Miss Earth hopefuls Jaime VandenBerg of Canada, Abbey-Anne Gyles-Brown of England and Emma Sheedy of Guam detailed in separate posts that a male sponsor of the international beauty contest asked them for sexual favors in exchange of bringing home the crown or getting further in the competition.
The STAR/Geremy Pintolo
Hontiveros wants inquiry into Miss Earth sexual harassment allegations
Gaea Katreena Cabico (Philstar.com) - November 12, 2018 - 5:25pm

MANILA, Philippines — Sen. Risa Hontiveros has called for an inquiry into the alleged incidents of sexual harassment during this year’s Miss Earth pageant that victimized at least three candidates.

Hontiveros filed Senate Resolution 932 after Miss Earth contestants Jaime VandenBerg of Canada, Abbey-Anne Gyles-Brown of England and Emma Sheedy of Guam detailed in separate posts that a male sponsor of the international beauty contest asked them for sexual favors in exchange for bringing home the crown or getting further in the competition.

Miss Guam identified the sponsor as Amado Cruz.

“This inquiry seeks to shed light on the true events of the case and to aid the future protection of women from sexual harassment. No woman should ever be a victim, whatever country they come from,” the senator said.

'Zero tolerance for sexual harassment, violence'

Hontiveros—who chairs the Senate committee on women, children, family relations and gender equality—stressed that zero tolerance should be given to acts of sexual harassment and violence.

“Sexual harassment has no place anywhere, especially in a pageant that claims to uphold the value and power of women. At a time when women and girls are battered by rape jokes, sexual violence and sex-for-freedom cases, it is imperative that sexual harassment of any kind, shape or form be brought out into the open,” she said.

Hontiveros said both Cruz and the pageant organizer should be held responsible for the incidents.

She also expressed disappointment that Cruz was able to attend the preliminary event and the coronation night even after Miss Earth Vice President Lorraine Shuck had assured the candidates that the sponsor would not be attending succeeding events.

“This shows disregard for their welfare and a flippant attitude toward the handling of this case. This cannot be allowed to pass unaddressed,” Hontiveros said.

Shuck earlier said in a television report that the testimonies on the alleged sexual harassment incidents had been collected for review. But she denied the accusations and claimed the candidates were given security.

Miss Cuba Monica Aguilar also maintained there was no instance of sexual harassment during the course of the pageant.

MISS EARTH RISA HONTIVEROS
Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with