In a previous radio interview, presidential Spkesperson Harry Roque declined to give a hint but replied on the affirmative when asked whether the person to be axed is a high-level official. Presidential Communications, File

Palace: Naming of sacked high-level official 'on hold'
(philstar.com) - January 3, 2018 - 10:10am

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang on Wednesday said its announcement on the dismissal of a high-ranking government official has been put on hold as the unnamed official has yet to be informed in writing.

In an interview over News5 radio, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said he received a text message early Wednesday morning advising him to postpone the announcement, which he had earlier said would be done on January 3.

READ: Palace to announce sacking of high-ranking official Wednesday

“I was told to hold it at ako naman po bilang abogado (and as a lawyer), I do not mind holding the information until there is something in writing,” Roque said.

“Actually, I pray for… siguro magkaroon muna ng kasulatan na paratingin muna sa tao bago i-anunsyo (I hope there will be something in writing to inform the person before the announcement),” he added.

Roque did not identify the official or state the reason the official would be axed.

In a previous radio interview, Roque declined to give a hint but replied in the affirmative when asked whether the person to be axed is a high-level official. 

"The fight of the president is not just against drugs but also against the corrupt in government," the presidential spokesman said. 

"He wants big fishes to serve as an example" he added.  

Philstar
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with