AFP-NPA ceasefire ends at midnight
Alexis Romero (The Philippine Star) - January 19, 2015 - 5:40pm

MANILA, Philippines - The military is preparing to resume offensives against communist rebels as the ceasefire between the government and the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) ended at midnight.

“The full range of military operations will be back,” Armed Forces spokesman Col. Restituto Padilla said in an interview Monday.

“We will continue to enforce law enforcement operations and then go after criminals,” he added.

The government implemented a month-long ceasefire that took effect from December 18 to January 19. The CPP responded by declaring a staggered truce that took effect from December 24 to 26 and from December 31 to January 1.

A ceasefire temporarily halts the conduct of armed offensives but does not prohibit troops from defending themselves against attacks.

The New People’s Army (NPA), the rebels’ armed wing, suspended their offensives again from January 15 until 19 in deference to the visit of Pope Francis.

The truce was implemented as a goodwill measure for the peace talks, which officials claimed might resume after the papal visit.

Padilla said the insurgents should follow the example of the pope if they are really in solidarity with the head of the Catholic Church as they claimed.

“If they are really in solidarity with the pope, then they ought to show the same Christian values exhibited by the Holy Father such as faith in the Lord, compassion, mercy, charity, meekness and adherence to the way of peace,” the military spokesman said.

“Based on this, it’s up to you to say if their pronouncement is true,” he added.

Padilla said the communists should abandon the armed struggle and support theconduct of serious peace talks with the government.

The CPP has accused the military of violating the government ceasefire by deploying forces in various parts of Southern Mindanao. The military denied the accusation and challenged the rebels to show proof that will support their claim.

“There is no violation. There are soldiers stationed in all places. They did not move. There were no offensives launched,” Padilla said.

The military has accused the communist guerillas of taking advantage of the government truce to launch attacks including an ambush in Compostela Valley that claimed the lives of three soldiers last month.

The NPA attacks, however, are not violations of the ceasefire because only the government truce was in effect when they happened.

ARMED FORCES CATHOLIC CHURCH COMMUNIST PARTY OF THE PHILIPPINES COMPOSTELA VALLEY HOLY FATHER NEW PEOPLE PADILLA POPE FRANCIS RESTITUTO PADILLA SOUTHERN MINDANAO
  • Latest
  • Trending
Latest
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with