You can choose your attitude
BUSINESS MATTERS BEYOND THE BOTTOM LINE - Francis J. Kong (The Philippine Star) - March 15, 2020 - 12:00am

I woke up early today, excited over all I get to do before the clock strikes midnight. I have responsibilities to fulfill today. I am important. My job is to choose what kind of day I am going to have.

Today I can complain because the weather is rainy or... I can be thankful the grass is getting watered for free.

Today I can feel sad that I don’t have more money or... I can be glad my finances encourage me to plan my purchases wisely and guide me away from waste.

Today I can grumble about my health or... I can rejoice that I am alive.

Today I can lament over all my parents didn’t give me when I was growing up or... I can feel grateful they allowed me to be born.

Today I can cry because roses have thorns or... I can celebrate that thorns have roses.

Today I can mourn my lack of friends or... I can excitedly embark upon a quest to discover new relationships.

Today I can whine because I have to go to work or... I can shout for joy because I have a job to do.

Today I can complain because I have to go to school or... I can eagerly open my mind and fill it with rich new tidbits of knowledge.

Today I can murmur dejectedly because I have to do housework or... I can feel honored because God has provided shelter for my mind, body and soul.

I get to play a big part into what kind of day I will have!

How is this to start the day? Beautiful isn’t it? This article entitled: “It’s All About Attitude” from an unknown source really made my day.1

Attitude is the doorway to success. And I will explain the reason why. All things being equal, the person with the better attitude will be better liked. And the person who is liked will always get the promotions, get the contract and other unlimited opportunities. The thing about attitude is that you are not born with it that is set on stone. You can choose to be positive and you have the will to develop yourself to become likable. And here is the reason why. In a business environment wherein collaboration is valued over individual competence and contribution, the person with a good attitude will always be better in people skills and can achieve more than a mere “talented” person with a lousy disposition.

I have collected some attitude one-liners for your enjoyment. Have fun. And if you can’t you may have an attitude problem.

On health

* A recent study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

* If you’re not supposed to eat at night, why is there a light bulb in the refrigerator?

* Diet Day #1 - I removed all the fattening food from my house. It was delicious.

On perspective

* Life is all about perspective. The sinking of the Titanic was a miracle to the lobsters in the ship’s kitchen.

* What is the best thing about living in Switzerland? Well, the flag is a big plus.

* I can totally keep secrets. It’s the people I tell them to that can’t.

* I’m currently boycotting any company that sells items I can’t afford.

On relationship

* Before I tell my wife something important, I take both her hands in mine. That way she can’t hit me with them.

* When a woman says “what?” It’s not because she didn’t hear you. She’s just giving you a chance to change what you said.

* Funny how they say we need to talk when they really mean you need to listen.

* When I call a family meeting I turn off the house wifi and wait for them all to come running.

On success or failure

* I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

* One day you’re the best thing since sliced bread. The next, you’re toast.

* Behind every successful student, there is a deactivated Facebook account.

* I’ve been repeating the same mistakes in life for so long now, I think I’ll start calling them traditions.

On wisdom

* Never tell your problems to anyone... 20 percent don’t care and the other 80% are glad you have them...

* Remember, everyone seems normal until you get to know them...

* You can’t get on the same page with someone who has a different book.


* My boss told me to have a good day. So I went home.

* If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

* The best time to start thinking about your retirement is before the boss does.

So have a great attitude then you can have a great day.

(Connect with Francis Kong in or listen to “Business Matters” Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. And 6:30 p.m. over 98.7 DZFE-FM ‘The Master’s Touch’, the classical music station.)


  • Latest
  • Trending
Are you sure you want to log out?
Login is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

or sign in with