Arum to Floyd: Just answer the phone
By Alder Almo Updated Sunday November 23, 2014 - 5:32pm

Top Rank chief Bob Arum addresses reporters in a press conference following the Manny Pacquiao-Chris Algieri fight at The Venetian Macao on Sunday. AJ Bolando/Philstar.com

MACAU - "Enough is enough!"

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum is already tired of the question on when will the Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight happen.

The post-fight press conference of Pacquiao's sensational win against previously unbeaten WBO junior welterweight champion Chris Algieri centered again on that nagging issue.

RELATED: Pacquiao calls out Mayweather anew

But Arum has had enough. 

"We're tired. Every place we go, they're gonna ask us that question when will that fight happen. I say enough is enough. Let's just make the fight happen. Let's just get it done," Arum told reporters.

Pacquiao's promoter is looking at the first half of 2015 to finally make that fight happen.

"The next fight for each fighter is sometime in the first six months of next year," Arum said.

"I think that fight should happen. The boxing fans deserve that. All the nonsense has to cease. Everybody should be working together to make that fight happen," he added.

And there are signs that head toward that direction.

Arum already had initial talks with the CBS president and CEO Leslie Moonves even before Pacquiao fought Algieri. CBS is the mother network of Showtime, where Mayweather is tied up.

The speculation is that Showtime and HBO, which holds TV rights for Pacquiao's fights, will co-present the super fight that will go down as the biggest fight in the history of boxing in the modern era that can rival the classic fights such as Thrilla in Manila and Rumble in the Jungle in the past.

Pacquiao showed on Sunday that he's back at the level where he was before Juan Manuel Marquez III derailed him with a brutal sixth round knockout loss in 2012. Pacquiao has since recorded three straight victories but none was impressive than this one where he scored six knockdowns against Algieri.

"Talking about knockouts, I think Manny has five or six knockdowns tonight. That's twice the number of knockdowns that Floyd Mayeather, Jr. has had in the last 12 years," Arum said.

Pacquiao's promoter has thrown the first jab.

"There's no more excuse this time. None," Arum said. "Just answer the phone."

The ball is now in Mayweather's court.

comments powered by Disqus
 POLL
 ARTICLES
By Abac Cordero Updated Monday July 03, 2017 - 12:00am
By Dino Maragay Updated Saturday November 05, 2016 - 5:14am
By Dino Maragay Updated Thursday November 03, 2016 - 4:52pm
By Dino Maragay Updated Wednesday November 02, 2016 - 4:16pm
By Dino Maragay Updated Thursday March 12, 2015 - 6:06am
View more articles