MANILA, Philippines - WBC and WBO bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire Jr. yesterday declined to categorically state whether he’s sticking to Top Rank or packing his bags altogether, although there were hints of his camp’s dissatisfaction with the top promotional outfit.
“As of now, hindi ko pa alam. Hindi pa kami nag-uusap. (We haven’t talked yet). Right now, I want to enjoy the Philippines and be thankful to the Filipino people,” Donaire said during yesterday’s PSA Forum.
He said that his manager Cameron Dunkin and lawyer John Bailey are the ones taking care of the matter.
The Filipino Flash has been with Top Rank since 2008 and his contract is set to expire this June. Reports said Donaire is seriously considering leaving Top Rank while entertaining the bids of the other outfits such as Golden Boy Promotions.
But according to Top Rank boss Bob Arum, the 2008 pact has a clause giving the outfit “sole discretion 12-month extension” and they would be exercising this option.
Donaire’s camp hinted its discontent with how the Bohol-born champ has landed fights the last three years.
“It says three fights a year but look at (boxing website) boxrec and see his fights for the last three years,” said Donaire’s wife Rachel, referring to Nonito’s fights with Moruti Mthalane in 2008 and with Raul Martinez and Rafael Concepcion in 2009.
Top Rank has signed Donaire for a May 28 card in Atlantic City but his supposed opponent World Boxing Association (super) champ Anselmo Moreno of Panama is reportedly not inclined to sign for the fight.
After his astounding two-round TKO of Fernando Montiel last month, Donaire said he would want to tackle the other bantam titlists like Moreno, WBA regular holder Koki Kameda of Japan, International Boxing Federation ruler Joseph Agbeko of Ghana/US.
“Gusto kong makalaban ang mga title holder sa division at i-unify yung belts para maging undisputed champion (I want a crack at the other title holders to unify the belts and be the undisputed bantam champion),” Donaire said.
“Kung ayaw naman nila na lumaban sa akin, there’s a possibility of moving up, kahit sino I will fight (If the bantamweights won’t fight me, there’s a possibility that I will move up in weight and challenge the champions there),” he said.