WATCH: Duterte wants to end joint patrols with US

President Rodrigo Duterte delivers a speech during the 48th anniversary of the 250th Presidential Airlift Wing at the Villamor Airbase in Pasay City on Sept. 13, 2016. PPD/King Rodriguez

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said he won't allow government forces to conduct joint patrols of disputed waters near the South China Sea with foreign powers, apparently scrapping the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement deal his predecessor reached with the US military earlier this year.

Duterte also said Tuesday that he was considering acquiring defense equipment from Russia and China.

The Philippines has traditionally leaned on the US, its longtime treaty ally, for its security needs.

Duterte said that the Philippines does "not go into a patrol or join any other army from now because I do not want trouble."

Like other security pronouncements, Duterte did not provide details, but his rejection for joint patrols apparently goes against such an arrangement announced in April by the US and Philippine defense chiefs.

Homepage ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1
  • Follow Us: