Back to Top
1 missing, 30 families evacuated from Davao del Norte floods
(The Philippine Star) - January 3, 2013 - 2:37pm

MANILA, Philippines - Continuous rains since New Year's Day prompted authorities to warn Davao del Norte towns Thursday to start evacuations from possible flooding.

Some 30 families in Kapalong town moved to safer grounds while one person went missing during the preemptive evacuation efforts.

Provincial Disaster and Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) local officer Sonio Sanchez said an ongoing search and rescue operation had already resumed after the rising of Saug River water put it to a halt.

Alerted were the flood-prone municipalities of Talaingod, Kapalong, Asuncion, Santo Tomas and Tagum City due to the swelling of various rivers.

PDRRMC also recommended the immediate evacuation of residents of Santo Tomas and Carmen towns traversed by the Libuganon River.

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) meanwhile said that the rains are caused by a low pressure area earlier spotted hovering Mindanao.

PAGASA said on Wednesday, however, that there is only a slim chance for the weather condition to intensify into a tropical depression within the Philippine area of responsibility.

The low pressure area was also seen on Thursday over Santa Josefa in Agusan del Sur and expected to head toward Zamboanga Peninsula and then to Borneo in the next few days.

GEOPHYSICAL AND ASTRONOMICAL SERVICES ADMINISTRATION KAPALONG LIBUGANON RIVER NEW YEAR PHILIPPINE ATMOSPHERIC PROVINCIAL DISASTER AND RISK REDUCTION AND MANAGEMENT COUNCIL SANTA JOSEFA SANTO TOMAS AND CARMEN SANTO TOMAS AND TAGUM CITY SAUG RIVER SONIO SANCHEZ
  • Latest
  • Trending
  • Recommended
Are you sure you want to log out?
X
Login

Philstar.com is one of the most vibrant, opinionated, discerning communities of readers on cyberspace. With your meaningful insights, help shape the stories that can shape the country. Sign up now!

SIGN IN
or sign in with