ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines - The United States government provided an additional $3-million dollars to address the humanitarian needs of the typhoon Pablo victims amid threat of disease spreading with the death toll climbing up to 647 and hundreds more missing in Davao province, its embassy said Monday.
The US embassy said the additional fund that its government is providing will include the support for emergency shelters, logistics, water sanitation, hygiene and provisions for emergency relief commodities.
The funds, which the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) provided, is on top of the P100,000 dollars it initially poured in after seeing the widespread destruction of the typhoon in Compostela Valley, Davao Oriental and parts of Negros Oriental.
US Charge d’ Affaires Brian Goldbeck said his government has been in coordination with the different humanitarian groups and Philippine government to monitor the impact of the storm that hit the country last week.
The US Pacific Command had also redirected its military personnel on conference for the Balikatan 13 in the country to focus on humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operation.
The US military also provided transport and other lift assistance in coordination with the Armed Forces of the Philippines through the U.S. Department of Defense Overseas Humanitarian, Disaster, and Civic Aid program.
The US Marine Forces Pacom has sent personnel and supplies to transport loads of humanitarian assistance and disaster relief supplies via C-130 planes.
Two US C-130 aircraft arrived in Manila from Okinawa,Japan on Saturday and loaded some 5,800 food packs that were transported to Davao Sunday. The US Department of Defense will continue the mission through the week.
Water purification systems will also be established in the area as there were reports of water contamination due to the massive death.
The US Joint Special Operations Task Force-Philippines, which has been conducting training and relief operations in the country, has been deployed also in the devastated areas in Mindanao to assist their Filipino military counterpart, the embassy added.