Nation ( Leaderboard Top ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

Man charged with girl's rape killed

MANILA, Philippines - A 30-year-old man who was charged with the rape of a deaf-mute girl in his home province of Quezon in 2009 was gunned down in Sta. Ana, Manila yesterday morning.

Police said Norlito Enriquez, who had been temporarily residing in Sta. Ana, Manila, was on his way to work at a construction site in Makati City, when he was waylaid by a lone gunman.

A witness told police he and the victim were walking along Mabuhay street in Sta. Ana at past 6:30 a.m. when a man walked past them but turned back and pulled out a handgun. The gunman, described as between 30 and 35 years old, muscular, and wearing shades and a white cap repeatedly shot the victim before running away.

Police Officer 3 Ritchie Caligagan said Enriquez was declared dead on arrival at the Sta. Ana Hospital due to gunshot wounds in the body. Police recovered several slugs from a .45 caliber pistol at the crime scene.

Caligagan said the victim was acquitted and released by the court in September this year after the girl’s family reportedly failed to appear during the hearings. The victim then stayed in Manila and worked as a helper at a construction site until his death.

Enriquez’s landlord told police that last Saturday, the victim’s father visited him but immediately left after receiving text messages from his wife to “be on alert since he may get embroiled with his son’s mistakes.”

Nation ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

Caligagan said the rape case against Enriquez “may have something to do with” his murder.

Police said Enriquez’s killer could be a professional hit man since the witness said the shooter used a silencer for the attack.              

Nation ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1
  • Follow Us: