Nation ( Leaderboard Top ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

MMFF wants screening of film fest entries extended

MANILA, Philippines - Due to “public clamor,” the Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF) will ask theater owners in Metro Manila to extend the screening of the eight entries of this year’s film festival until Jan. 7, 2017.

Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) officer-in-charge Tim Orbos said the MMFF will write a formal letter to the theater owners to consider the extension of the screening of the eight entries by four more days.

The MMFF movies are scheduled to be shown in cinemas for only 10 days, or from Dec. 25 to Jan. 3, 2017.

Orbos said the MMFF executive committee only wants to revive the traditional two-week showing of the movies.

He said the MMFF previously agreed to the theater owners’ conditions to show the films for only 10 days and only in selected cinemas.

“But now, the people are asking. It is incumbent upon us to request to add more days,” Orbos, concurrent chairman of the MMFF, told reporters.

Nation ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

Orbos’ statement came after he received “positive response” from netizens on the quality of the MMFF films.

Asked if the MMFF is asking for the extension because it reportedly failed to surpass the P1 billion earned by festival entries last year, he said this year’s entries have earned enough.

He added that it “is not about the money, it is about what we can give to our children later on” by promoting quality films in the Philippines. 

The MMFF said that the first four top-grossing films are “Ang Babae sa Septic Tank 2 (Forever is Not Enough),” “Die Beautiful,” “Seklusyon” and “Vince and Kath and James” but did not provide data on how much the films earned.

Nation ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1
  • Follow Us: