MANILA, Philippines — The alleged emails on plans to oust President Rodrigo Duterte were not leaks sourced from correspondence involving Vice President Leni Robredo, her spokesperson said on Monday.
Georgina Hernandez, spokesperson for Robredo, said the emails dubbed "Leni Leaks" on social media were not previously undisclosed or classified.
"The so-called leaked information came from a public Yahoo group account which means that there is transparency in this information," Hernandez said in a phone patch interview on ANC.
Hernandez noted that Robredo is not part of the Yahoo account. Malice, she said, can neither be proven in the emails.
The emails, which recently surfaced on social media, contained messages between supporters of the vice president on their supposed plan to create a dispute against the president.
Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar, meanwhile, said that Malacañang will not make any judgment on whether Robredo is involved until the information is validated.
“We will see. I don’t want to jump the gun. I don’t want to be judgmental. It is under investigation. We will do everything to solve this matter,” Andanar said.
Hernandez said the vice president knows "only bits and pieces" about the issue, since she has "very limited time" to look into the matter.
"She has been in the field, she's been in different places like Bicol and Marinduque," Hernandez said.
Robredo herself said in an interview in Marinduque that she is not part of the Yahoo group and is not aware of the circulating email trail.
"Hindi ko alam kung ano ang participation ko, na-memention daw ang pangalan ko pero hindi ako kabahagi nung grupong iyon," Robredo said.
She also said it is not surprising that her name is mentioned in the emails since she is the vice president.
Robredo said she would rather focus on her work than dwell on issues arising from the Internet's "viciousness."
"As much as I can, iyong focus ko nasa trabaho kaya kahit ganoon ang tira sa akin—kaliwa’t kanan—pinagbubuhusan ko talaga ng panahon ang trabaho ko," Robredo said.
The so-called "leaks" were floated on social media by staunch supporters of President Rodrigo Duterte, prompting Palace officials to launch an investigation on the alleged ouster plot.