Freeman Opinion ( Leaderboard Top ), pagematch: , sectionmatch: 1

The Vicariate of Southern Cebu (Part 6)

Carcar

It was created in 1599. Venerated here is the patroness, St. Catherine, Virgin and Martyrs. Church: new, made of cut coral stone and lime mortar masonry, with three naves, tile roofing, the nave in the center is 12 meters high, made of cut coral stone and lime mortar masonry; there are 22 arcs in the central nave; it has two towers in the frontpiece, with a clock in one of them. -Cemetery: palisaded, 92 meters long and 42 meters wide. -Rectory: of cut coral stone and lime mortar masonry up to the main floor; wood in the rest, galvanized iron sheet roofing; it is new, and measures 33 meters in front and 26 meters on the “escuala”. -Barrios: there are 5 from 3, 4, and 5 kilometers distant, and they are: Daanlungsod to the southwest; Cabiao to the north; Bacsiji to the south; Sangat to the northeast, and Mulag to the west. This town is situated on an elevation in the southern coast of the island, at least half an hour away from the sea, it adjoins the towns of San Fernando and Sibonga; the town of Barili is to the northwest in the opposite coast, three hours away on bridle path.

Sibonga

It was erected as a parish in 1830 (according to the parish priest) under the patronage of Our Lady of Pillar. -Church: in construction with thick walls of cut coral stone and lime mortar masonry, raised to the height of 9 meters. The one being used at present is made of hardwood posts and tabique pampango, 72 varas long, 13 varas wide, and 7 varas high, covered by tiles, but in bad condition. -Cemetery: fence made of cut coral stone and lime mortar masonry; it has a chapel made of the same materials, in good condition. -Barrios: Simala, Tabud and Mangian 1 league away; Papan and Sabanga 1 ½ leagues away. -It adjoins Carcar on the northeast 2 leagues away, Argao on the southwest 3 hours away, good road; Dumanjug on the west 5 leagues away, of bad road on the East, the sea and the town of Calape and Tubigon in Bohol, 5 to 6 hours crossing.

Argao

It was created in 1605, according to Cavada, also found in the archives of the Diocese documents about Argao that date back to 1608 with notes (perhaps it was a civil town), but the parish priest says that it was founded in 1733 under the patronage of St. Michael Archangel.

(To be continued, taken from the book written by Fr. Felipe Redondo)

Freeman ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch:
  • Follow Us: