PASAY CITY, Philippines — It's final. Two-division world champion Donnie ‘Ahas’ Nietes (32-1-1, 18KOs) will defend his WBO light flyweight title against Moises Fuentes (19-1-1, 10KOs) of Mexico in a highly-anticipated grudge rematch on May 10 at the SM Mall of Asia Arena here.
ALA Promotions President and CEO Michael Aldeguer said the fight is 90% on completion and that they already have come to terms with Zanfer Promotions, the handler of Fuentes.
“I can say that Nietes- Fuentes 2 in MOA Arena is good to go,” said Aldeguer. “We haven’t signed the contract yet but we have already agreed in principle, so the fight is on.”
The 31-year-old Nietes hasn’t lost since 2004 and is on a course of surpassing the record of Pinoy boxing legend Gabriel ‘Flash’ Elorde as the longest reigning world champion in history.
Nietes and Fuentes first fought in an epic 12-round slugfest that resulted in a majority draw on March 13 last year at the Waterfront- Cebu City Hotel and Casino.
“This is a very important fight for Nietes as he will make history by being the longest reigning Filipino world champion,” said Aldeguer. “I know Donnie is ready even if he will make the defense in Mexico, like what the other party first demanded.”
The pride of Murcia, Negros Occidental, Nietes is currently on a training camp in the United States and Mexico to prepare for his return bout with Fuentes.
Nietes scored a sensational third round stoppage of former Mexican world champion Sammy Gutierrez in his previous ring assignment on November 30 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.
Fuentes, on the other hand, is on a three-fight winning streak capped off by a seventh round TKO against his compatriot Omar Salado in Mexico City.
To spice up the Nietes-Fuentes 2, Aldeguer said that one-time world title challenger Milan ‘El Metodico’ Melindo (30-1, 12KOs) and the comebacking Rey ‘Boom-Boom’ Bautista (34-3, 25KOs) will be included in the card against a still undetermined foes. (FREEMAN)